Saturday 9 February 2013

my work, my faith, my ethics.

I don't know what it is, but there's been an avalanche of craziness going around over the web and of course Facebook. Back when I started Firefly, handcrafted items and gifts were a completely different dimension. Today mashaAllah, Pakistan is going through a craft revolution, where entrepreneurship and 'scrapbooking' is being done left, right center... Wallet cards too! But that's not what I want to write about...

What I wanted to write about today, is rather a plea. And I hope after reading this, everyone sits back in their seat and thinks for a minute. Islamically, stealing is a condemned act. Whether some one else sees you or not, Allah Kareem is watching. A thief is one who steals, or takes without consent, and usually secretly.

A thief may not be after crowned jewels, a stash of money, expensive electronics or diamonds... a thief may rob you of your intellectual property, whether it's something you spent time thinking about, putting care into wording or piecing together... OR something you designed, created or assembled. Today, this boom of Facebook businesses has also given rise to fraudulent entrepreneurship as well as thievery of another kind. It's depressing, disgusting and out right wrong.

There are several people that surf around and click, 'Like'... whether it's to keep up with the page, to enter their contest/give away, or just appreciate their work. What happens when you like a page that's involved in robbing others of their talent and efforts?

Let's contemplate:

- someone has created a page, and uploaded photos of work you've seen elsewhere. They have stolenn someone else's work and passed it off as their own. You know the work belongs to someone else, you're still there.. a part of this crime.

- that someone will be taking your order, or creating something for you.

- that someone will commit a date or time for your request, or assure you of your order and it's value.

- what guarantee is there, that the individual will not cheat YOU? When they've cheated on someone else?

Oh great, I like a page that indulges in all this...
-what does this say about you? are you endorsing such acts or deeds by fellow business owners? Are you supporting such form of entrepreneurship?

One day you're going to launch your line of work, you're going to start out somewhere, you're going to want to be original... what will you do when something similar happens to you? are you not going to think back and wonder, Oh no, I supported him/her when they cheated that page, or that person... and today it's happening to me.

Forget hurting someone else... you're only degrading your stature in public... people do not know you as a person, they know you as a page owner, as a brand... and if you're involved in such unethical actions, you're sending out bad vibes to your customers, and your fans.

I've had my 'about' 'pricing' and pretty much everything 'Firefly' copied/replicated start to finish. I am humbled you find my work so appealing and my way of maintaining and promoting my work the way I do. I must make you aware however, whatever I have done, created, or pieced out is Alhamdulillah ORIGINAL. Because Alhamdulillah, I took time and thought to come up with it. Just because it worked for me, does not mean it'll work for you just by lifting or doing what I did.

Rizq and Naseeb are all written by Him from above. I am not saying anything about your earning... I am requesting you to consider the WAY you're earning. Yes, money comes... but the barakah only remains when you're honest with who you are and what you do. You can cheat an entire cosmos... but at the end our Rabb will only smile down upon you... because you are cheating yourself... and your children with the 'earnings' you feed them with.

I pray every business gets the success they deserve... and HE knows best.

I pray for hidayat of all those individuals that are out there working without ethics and sleeping soundly without an ounce of guilt or shame... Alhamdulillah to those who have their conscience alive. :) I have utmost respect for others, that work really hard to do what they do. For those who don't... All I can say is, you may cheat someone now, wait til it happens to you. Karma comes around... and Allah Kareem ki Pakar sab se bari hoti hai.

Being inspired, does not allow ANY person a license to do what the other person does JUST because they were doing it. Do it because you want to have meaning, do it because it means something to you. And when you do it, stop with the copy paste. You're only insulting yourself when you mock codes or ethics... or rights of others. I've seen people laugh or snort at the sound of a lawsuit or copyrights. When our educated class responds this way to the existance of such regulations, it's no wonder our entire country falls below and goes into decline.

PS: I know who copies... who replicate and plagiarize from me. If I haven't said anything or thrashed you for it, does not mean there's nothing I can't do. It's called faith in Him. He will handle affairs, and set them straight. You just may not be worth my time... or my energy. Anything positive, is not achieved without hurdles... and nothing great comes easy. May Allah Kareem guide us all.

a friend of mine keeps telling me... don't look side ways... keep looking ahead. And you know what... that's JUST what I'm going to continue to do! :) <3

Dedicated to all my lovelies. Stay blessed.
 

5 comments:

  1. <3 Thank you very much for this post. I will be sharing this on the page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. calm down.. people will always try to copy you.. it just means they are less imaginative less creative but they want to make some bucks... remember those who copy and put up pictures CANT actually make it in reality and eventually they WILL LOSE their clients. Customers always look and like pages which are similar so if anyone copies that means the customer knows and trust me its a bad image in the customers mind from the start... REPUTATION MATTERS! U HAVE A REPUTATION! UR THE MARKET LEADER! the others are just followers as they saw and thought they can make some money off... best advice MARKET LEADERS ALWAYS LOOK AHEAD AND TRY TO STAY AHEAD OF THE GAME BY BEING ALWAYS CREATIVE AND IMAGINATIVE... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This post was written down as contemplation, not a rant or flame post... And Alhamdulillah, pretty calm about it. :)

      Delete
  3. Very well written :) i can relate it so much!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...